Robert “Bob” Cochran is a former prosecutor and trial lawyer with over 28 years of experience in the area of criminal and white collar criminal defense. In 2018, Bob left a large law firm to start his own firm and focus on representing individuals and businesses charged with a crime or facing a government investigation, especially health care fraud.
Based in Columbus, Ohio, Bob Cochran defends people and businesses under investigation or accused of health care fraud and the various criminal charges that often accompany it such as conspiracy, wire fraud, mail fraud, and money laundering.
Bob also represents people accused of others serious crimes, such as public corruption, other business-related crimes, drug charges, sex crimes, burglary, robbery, theft, embezzlement, and violent crimes such as rape, murder, and assault.
Bob helps clients at all stages of the criminal process, from initial investigations, through grand jury, trial, and appeal.
Bob regularly appears in State and Federal courts throughout Ohio, is a member of numerous local, state, and national bar associations, and is called upon to teach lawyers and non-lawyers alike through lectures and publications.
Before opening his own firm, Bob worked as an Assistant County Prosecutor, an Assistant Ohio Attorney General, where he prosecuted environmental crimes, and as the Assistant Chief of Ohio’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit. He also served as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio’s Health Care Fraud Task Force, and is a Criminal Justice Act Panel Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio. Bob was also a partner at a large, multi-state law firm where he practiced health care law, white collar criminal defense, and commercial litigation.
With his depth and breadth of experience, Bob is proud to offer his clients big firm expertise while maintaining the personal touch of a small law office.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Society of Ohio Health Care Attorneys
- Ohio Council for Home Care & Hospice, Affiliate Member
- Lawyer’s Club of Columbus
- House of Hope, Inc., Board of Trustees, President (2014-Present)
- United States District Court – Southern District of Ohio, Criminal Justice Act Panel Attorney
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Collateral Consequences of a Criminal Investigation or Conviction for Health Care Providers, Columbus Bar Association, 2017
- Something’s Up, So We Need to Investigate: Internal & External Investigations, Blue & Co., LLC and Ice Miller LLP, Health Care Hot Topics, 2017
- Medicaid Reform Under the New Administration, Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting & Education Summit, 2017
- Up in Smoke: Medical Marijuana Comes to Ohio, Ice Miller CLE Forum for In-House Counsel, 2017
- And the Hits Just Keep on Coming – The Collateral Consequences of a Criminal Conviction for Health Care Professionals, The Champion Magazine, 2015 (download)